Where can I get technical support, either hardware or software?
- Search through this wiki if this page does not answer your question.
- Look at the forums: there you can poll vast community Linux users for possible solutions - if your problem has not already been solved
- Search through our bug report system: your bug may be a well known one; check the status of it.
- Contact our Help Desk.
Where can I get information about my order/return/exchange?
- Read this guide first, especially the sales section.
- If you don't find the answer here, please contact our Help Desk
My Touch Book can not boot!
First of all: charge your device for 10 hours before first use. If it does not work and you experience the following symptoms:
- Flicking screen, white screen, then fades out weirdly
- Reinstall your OS. Make sure that the SD card is correctly inserted, and working.
- AI logo, "Please wait…", then nothing
- Power your tablet at boot, then fully charge your top battery (please read the charging batteries instructions). It's related to USB powering, see below. It may be also related to the SD card. Reinstall your OS.
- Nothing on screen, but LEDs are blinking
- Check your screen cable.
- Nothing on screen, red LED on when pressing power button
- Contact our Help Desk.
- It boots only with the power plugged
- Charge your device. If it does not come better, one of your battery might be dead. If so, please contact our Help Desk.
- It boots only in netbook mode, not in tablet mode
- Please charge your batteries following the charging batteries instructions.
My screen goes blank randomly, though I'm working on the device
This is a known bug which has been fixed in 2009-11.a: please read this Bugzilla entry and upgrade to 2009-11.a or later.
There is no battery light when I plug the DC adapter in the keyboard part
Take a look on different angle. Try to full charge your device. If it's not working, your power adapter may be dead. Please contact our Help Desk.
The device shuts down when I plug a USB dongle in it
Your batteries are running low. USB powered devices need a current peak when just plugged. You should either just plug your DC adapter in your device to satisfy it when plugging your USB device, or charge more your batteries.
My batteries does not seem to charge
You can check the voltage on your board:
- Start the system with keyboard and tablet + DC + no red pane
- With a voltmeter, check the voltage of pin 7 of the battery connector (orientation note: pin 1 is on the side of the device corner).
- It should be between 4.5V and 5V. If it's not, try to find out why: open your bottom part and check the voltage along the cables.
The battery light comes green, but I only experience a couple of hours of battery life with my tablet
Your top battery may not charge: try to charge only your tablet, and check the voltage on your board to see if your batteries are charging (see above).
The device shuts down a few seconds after I detach the tablet from the keyboard
Your top battery may not charge: see above.
The battery light is still yellow, and never turns green
It may happen in netbook mode: detach your tablet from the keyboard with power plugged into the keyboard. If it's fully charged, it will turn green. If not, wait for the full charge (it can be long: please read the charging batteries instructions).
There is no battery light when plugging the power adapter
Your power adapter may be dead. Contact our Help Desk to get a new one.
I'm not able to connect to my wireless network any more
First of all, make sure you entered correctly your key (note that it is case-sensitive).
- I changed the encryption method of my network
- WEP as well as WPA are now supported; any other encryption not tested yet. Please check that you are not using a hidden network. Please reinstall your OS and contact our Help Desk if nothing is better.
- The blue LED is blinking, but no more networks available in the network manager interface
- Please read this Bugzilla entry.
- The blue LED is not blinking
- Your wifi dongle may not work. Try to plug it into another USB port and wait a minute: the LED should blink. If not, please reinstall your OS.
The desktop does not rotate when I turn the tablet
Check at the display properties to be sure that the auto-rotation is activated in the desktop settings.
You might have a loose counterweight: you can easily re-glue it by un-mounting your bottom part
My top battery is moving
You can stick again it with the underlying double-sided tape.
My mouse stays stuck in a corner of the screen
Your touchscreen is not correctly attached. A tutorial on how to do this will come soon.
My Touch Screen does not work at all...
- ...but I can move the mouse as usual with the touchpad
- Same as just above. Check also carefully your touchscreen flex cable: it may not be well inserted.
- ...and I'm not able to move the mouse with the touchpad
- Reboot your device. Are you able to type something with your keyboard?
My keyboard does not seem to work: nothing happens when I type something
Reboot your device. If nothing is better, check that the blue LED of the wifi dongle is blinking. If yes, your bottom part may be dead; if not, your USB hub may be dead. In all cases, please contact our Help Desk for a replacement.
How can I do a right-click in tablet mode?
Just make a long click: let your finger (or stylus) remain pressed for a couple of seconds and the right-click menu should appear.
I can't plug my earphones / I just have one earpiece working
The earphone hole might be too tiny so your earphones are not correctly plugged. Please note that it works perfectly with iPhone earphones.
You can either enlarge the earphone hole yourself, or remove two millimeters of plastic on your jack earphones connector.
I can't manage to make my bluetooth keyboard/mouse work
Try the following in a terminal to check for your Bluetooth interface:
# hciconfig hci0 up # hidd --search
I don't see the desktop toolbar / the AI logo at startup is not centered
Your Nand memory is not well set. Once logged, please open a terminal and run:
# /usr/bin/ai/reset/reset-nand.sh -f -w
- I feel a click, but nothing happens
- Try to reinstall your OS.
- I don't feel a click
- You can check if the button is broken: unmount your top part and compare the power button and the AI button on the board; they should look exactly the same.
I don't get the 3D tablet interface when I detach the tablet from the keyboard
Depending on your OS version, it does not launch automatically. You can launch it by clicking on the bottom right corner of the classic desktop.
I'm not able to use Fennec correctly
Fennec browser is still in development, so you may experience some trouble using it. We recommend to use the Midori browser, which has now a nice touch interface that is simpler and more intuitive than Fennec.
I can't install a new package with the apt-get command
The Touch Book OS is based on the Angstrom distribution. Therefore you will not be able to install packages with the
apt-get command like on Ubuntu or Debian. Neither will you with any RPM package.
However you can:
- Use the ipkg / opkg commands that work in the same way
- And/or download the sources of your desired package and compile it on your device (note that you can also cross-compile it).
How can I access my wireless printer?
Just like you would do on an Ubuntu laptop: go the Control Panel / Printers menu item and set up it here.
Create a directory:
# mkdir /mnt/smb
Mount the shared network folders:
# smbnetfs /mnt/smb
Now you can browse the shared network folders via
How can I get PgUp / PgDown / brightness and sound level controls on the keyboard?
Please read the keyboard shortcuts page.
I pre-ordered several months ago, but I still have no news, why?
Don't worry, your order is not lost! We are working on producing more units each month to reduce the backlog, but it takes time. Please read our announcements on the forums for more information.
My credit card has been declined, what to do now?
Please use the following page to change your credit card number: https://www.alwaysinnovating.com/company/ccupdate.htm The page is SSL-encrypted and completely secure.
I want to cancel my order; what do I need to do?
Please contact our Help Desk.
My credit card has been charged, but I didn't get any tracking number yet. Is anything wrong?
You first will get an email confirming your order has been processed (Subject: Always Innovating: Your order #ABCDE has been processed). In the following days you will receive another email containing your tracking number.
For questions not answered here, please read the shipping process announcement on our forum.
The tracking informations just say "electronically information received" for a few days. Is anything wrong?
Please read the shipping process announcement on our forum.
I recently moved / I have to change my shipping address. What should I do?
Please give us your new address by contacting our Help Desk.
I'm not satisfied with my unit and I want to return it
We're very sorry to hear that! Please ask for authorization before returning it if you want to be refund. Please read also our return policy.
My unit has been returned but I didn't get any refund yet
The refund is very probably on its way. These things can unfortunately take time. Once your unit has been returned, it can take up to two or three weeks before actual refund on your bank account.
I did not get a full refund; why?
Please read our return policy : we don't reimburse the initial shipping cost, and a restocking fee may apply if your device is not in absolute original condition
How long does the exchange process take ?
When we receive your old unit, it usually takes up to one week to have your new one shipped.