#touchbook IRC Log


IRC Log for 2009-08-25

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:02] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[0:03] * calex_ (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[0:03] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[0:20] <gregoiregentil> Hugh: not sure what I added or removed
[0:20] <gregoiregentil> dpb: target is middle
[0:20] <dpb> ok
[0:22] <Corsac> back
[0:30] <dpb> could someone with a device post the log from X somewhere? I'd be interested in seeing it
[0:33] * calex_ (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[0:34] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[0:36] <Corsac> gregoiregentil: when the upload will be done, could you upload a checksum file too? (I only noticed just now that the sd-card.gz wasn't complete, because gunzip told me about an unexpected EOF :) )
[0:44] * calex_ (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 60 (Operation timed out))
[0:50] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[0:50] <gregoiregentil> yup. still uploading. I will also upload the rootfs as a tar.bz2
[0:52] <Corsac> mind if I start a qemu page on the wiki?
[0:56] <gregoiregentil> No. You are welcome. sure.
[0:58] * killring (n=killring@ Quit ()
[1:05] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
[1:09] <Corsac> seems the transfer restarted :)
[1:12] <hyc> dpb: the Xorg.0.log?
[1:12] <dpb> hyc: yeah
[1:12] <hyc> sure no problem, 1 sec
[1:15] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[1:15] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[1:15] <Corsac> calex: connection problems? :)
[1:16] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[1:16] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[1:16] <Corsac> guess so
[1:17] <hyc_tb> dpb: http://hyc.pastebin.com/m110b0c84
[1:17] <dpb> thanks
[1:18] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer))
[1:18] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[1:18] <hyc> I'm a little puzzled that the glx module is missing, I thought it was needed for opengl support
[1:25] <dpb> So umm, did I understand correctly that you can't scroll with the touchpad at all?
[1:26] <hyc> right, not in this version
[1:27] <dpb> and it's a hardware thing?
[1:27] <hyc> yep
[1:28] <Corsac> yes
[1:28] <dpb> gregoiregentil: why was cirque chosen instead of a normal synaptics device that most use, that can use software to configure the touchpad with?
[1:29] <dpb> limiting it with hardware is a bit silly :(
[1:30] <hyc> and was apparently a simple mistake. a 1-resistor fix sounds easy enough (though I hate working on such tiny boards these days)
[1:30] * gregoiregentil (n=gregoire@adsl-71-135-127-167.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net) Quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
[1:30] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) has joined #touchbook
[1:31] <dpb> and what I'd like is two thinger scrolling, instead of the hard to use "scrollbar" on the right of the touchpad..
[1:31] * fooq (n=reini@cm56-152-97.liwest.at) has joined #touchbook
[1:33] * Meiz_n810 (n=Meizirkk@padedu-62-165-142-173.phnet.fi) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[1:38] <hyc> two thinger?
[1:39] <dpb> like in Macbooks
[1:40] <dpb> finger* i mean (oops)
[1:58] <hyc> i guess the new OS is uploaded
[1:59] <hyc> will give it a spin on my spare 4GB card
[2:01] * calex_ (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[2:01] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer))
[2:02] <hyc> oops. it appears that it is still uploading, the file size is still changing
[2:05] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[2:05] * calex_ (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer))
[2:10] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[2:10] <fooq> it's a pity that one can't lookup/findout;) for when the shipment is scheduled...
[2:16] <adricnet> I'll check on the file size n the morning then. G'night all
[2:16] * adricnet (n=adric@c-98-192-79-146.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) Quit ("*bampf*")
[2:17] <hyc> u-boot is identical to the previous, except for the build date/time stamp
[2:17] <hyc> same for the x-loader
[2:21] <hyc_tb> going to reboot with just the new kernel and see what happens
[2:21] * hyc_tb (n=hyc@ Quit ("Powered by OE: www.openembedded.org")
[2:25] <hyc> nothing special, it works
[2:25] <hyc> the big changes are obviously in the app level
[2:28] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[2:37] * calex_ (n=alexandr@ has joined #touchbook
[2:38] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[2:47] * pliny (i=d819d290@gateway/web/freenode/x-dmqmksvwywevzfna) Quit ("Time to go home...")
[3:02] * calex_ (n=alexandr@ Quit (Read error: 131 (Connection reset by peer))
[3:03] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
[3:03] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[3:06] <dpb> hyc: does the firefox in TB have panning functionality?
[3:06] <hyc> panning? I haven't noticed
[3:06] <dpb> or is that only in Fennec?
[3:06] <hyc> it seems to be a standard firefox 3.0
[3:06] <hyc> and I haven't tried fennec yet
[3:07] <dpb> so how do you scroll pages?
[3:07] <hyc> what would be an example of where/how I use it?
[3:07] <hyc> standard scrollbar in ff
[3:07] <hyc> cursor up/down keys too
[3:07] <dpb> ahh, right
[3:08] * calex_ (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[3:10] * calex__ (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[3:10] * calex_ (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[3:10] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[3:22] * unhinged (n=Paul@user-160vspv.cable.mindspring.com) has joined #touchbook
[3:39] * calex__ (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer))
[3:40] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[4:07] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) has joined #touchbook
[4:52] * shiznebit_ (n=chatzill@ool-18b99610.dyn.optonline.net) has joined #touchbook
[4:58] * bstag_ (n=bstag@ Quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
[5:12] <dpb> viridior: could you add a topic to the channel?
[5:13] * shiznebit_ (n=chatzill@ool-18b99610.dyn.optonline.net) Quit ("ChatZilla 0.9.85 [Firefox 3.5.2/20090729225027]")
[5:19] * asciiforever (n=asciifor@74-140-212-76.dhcp.insightbb.com) has joined #touchbook
[5:31] * unhinged (n=Paul@user-160vspv.cable.mindspring.com) Quit ()
[5:41] * robclark (n=robclark@nat/ti/x-pklyaidrvrouruhm) has joined #touchbook
[5:44] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit ()
[5:56] * jamesb_ (n=james@user-11fa82d.dsl.mindspring.com) has joined #touchbook
[6:04] * jamesb_ (n=james@user-11fa82d.dsl.mindspring.com) Quit ("Trillian (http://www.ceruleanstudios.com")
[6:09] * raultherunt1 (n=Paul@c-67-168-202-60.hsd1.or.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[6:12] * Meizirkki (n=Meizirkk@bbwirelessgw2-feeedc00-64.dhcp.inet.fi) has joined #touchbook
[6:12] * gregoiregentil (n=gregoire@adsl-71-135-127-167.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net) has joined #touchbook
[6:24] * shiznebit (n=chatzill@ has joined #touchbook
[6:39] * bstag (n=bstag@ has joined #touchbook
[6:42] <Corsac> hmhm, qemu doesn't work with OMAP3 :/
[6:45] * Master (n=chatzill@c-98-231-149-193.hsd1.md.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[6:48] * Master (n=chatzill@c-98-231-149-193.hsd1.md.comcast.net) Quit (Client Quit)
[6:50] * shiznebit is now known as help
[6:50] * help is now known as shiznebit
[7:11] * shiznebit (n=chatzill@ Quit ("ChatZilla 0.9.85 [Firefox 3.5.1/20090715094852]")
[7:14] * Hugh_ (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) has joined #touchbook
[7:17] * gregoiregentil (n=gregoire@adsl-71-135-127-167.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net) has left #touchbook
[7:19] * Master (n=chatzill@c-98-231-149-193.hsd1.md.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[7:19] <Master> ?motd
[7:19] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
[7:22] * raultherunt1 (n=Paul@c-67-168-202-60.hsd1.or.comcast.net) Quit ("Leaving.")
[7:25] <tshirtman> thinks it's a known issue but the link to "forums" in "support" is broken, if there are no plan to get forums yet, it would probably be better to remove it
[7:35] * jvs (n=jvs@ has joined #touchbook
[7:38] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) has joined #touchbook
[7:39] * Hugh_ (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
[7:39] * Master (n=chatzill@c-98-231-149-193.hsd1.md.comcast.net) Quit ("ChatZilla 0.9.85 [Browser 2.5.2/2009080717]")
[7:40] <jvs> any news on the september batch?
[7:40] <jvs> are US citizens still first class citizens?
[7:41] <jvs> or will there be some sugar for the other continents too :)
[7:41] <fooq> just some vague words on sept batch
[7:41] <fooq> news @ hp
[7:44] <tshirtman> jvs: look at the news on AI, and yes US are still first, but others have some... (the ones ready to help as I understand it)
[7:44] <jvs> hmm, I can understand the US gets them first, since they could preorder since march
[7:45] * killring (n=killring@ has joined #touchbook
[7:46] <fooq> hm, is the channel-log accessible? where?
[7:50] <tshirtman> http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/irclog/
[7:50] <tshirtman> (got there by "support -> irc"
[7:51] <tshirtman> )
[7:55] <fooq> thx tshirtman
[7:55] <tshirtman> you'r welcome
[7:56] <jvs> who da man? tshirtman
[7:57] <tshirtman> I don't understand the question
[7:57] <tshirtman> (I'm french)
[7:58] <fooq> i think that was more like: you are the man :)
[7:58] <tshirtman> ah ok ^^
[7:59] <jvs> cheers tshirtman :)
[7:59] <tshirtman> thanx ^^
[8:00] <fooq> i was confused because somewhen in the last days somone posted about an irclog at some weird url
[8:00] <tshirtman> workingonthat?
[8:00] <fooq> yes that was it!
[8:01] <tshirtman> I think it was the previous one
[8:01] <fooq> ah ic
[8:05] * fooq (n=reini@cm56-152-97.liwest.at) Quit ()
[8:14] * shiznebit (n=chatzill@ has joined #touchbook
[8:17] <Corsac> (too many french here!)
[8:23] <tshirtman> hehe
[8:27] <dpb> I'm not french!
[8:27] <Corsac> yes you are!
[8:27] * koen (n=koen@s55917625.adsl.wanadoo.nl) Quit (Nick collision from services.)
[8:28] <dpb> Am not.
[8:28] * koen (n=koen@s55917625.adsl.wanadoo.nl) has joined #touchbook
[8:44] * fooq (n=reini@cm56-152-97.liwest.at) has joined #touchbook
[8:52] <Corsac> you're no fun
[8:54] <dpb> I am sometimes. :(
[9:00] <Corsac> omg
[9:00] <Corsac> something is booting
[9:11] <jvs> le baguette!
[9:11] <jvs> no, actually I'm the apfelstrudel guy
[9:24] <Corsac> hmhm, how can I add a page to a category in the wiki?
[10:00] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[10:04] * Eruquen (i=Eruquen@server1.raumopol.de) has joined #touchbook
[10:15] <Corsac> calex: hey :)
[10:15] <calex> Corsac: hey:)
[10:16] <Corsac> why ???c???alex?
[10:16] <Corsac> (I guess alex is already taken, but???)
[10:24] <calex> cal(ifornia) + alex
[10:24] <calex> (ok that's very basic)
[10:24] <Corsac> ok :)
[10:44] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
[10:53] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit ()
[10:57] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) has joined #touchbook
[11:13] * adricnet (n=adric@c-98-192-79-146.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[11:21] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 60 (Operation timed out))
[11:22] * fooq (n=reini@cm56-152-97.liwest.at) Quit ()
[11:27] <Corsac> wow
[11:27] <Corsac> it fact it boots, but I think I don't have the correct kernel bootargs
[11:29] <adricnet> Version file hasn't been updated on release/latest .. has anyone tried it yet?
[11:32] * calex (n=alexandr@c-69-181-44-13.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[11:33] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) has joined #touchbook
[11:39] <Corsac> [ 26.028045] mmcblk0:<1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000010
[11:39] <Corsac> mpf.
[11:47] <Corsac> [ 12.900238] mmcblk0: mmc0:4567 QEMU! 1.00 GiB
[11:47] <Corsac> this is a bit weird
[11:47] <Corsac> the sd-card is supposed to be something like 8G I guess
[12:03] * TouchBook-LogBot (n=PircBot@www.gentil.com) has joined #touchbook
[12:06] <Corsac> snlemons: I ordered end of july too
[12:07] <Corsac> and am from .eu, so I'm behind .us people
[12:07] <Corsac> but in the meantime I'm trying to run TouchBook OS in qemu
[12:07] * gregoiregentil (n=gregoire@adsl-71-135-127-167.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net) has joined #touchbook
[12:07] <Corsac> which is not really easy
[12:07] <Corsac> see http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Qemu for a start
[12:07] <Corsac> gregoiregentil: hey!
[12:07] <Corsac> gregoiregentil: image.squashfs gets a 403 permission denied error :)
[12:09] <gregoiregentil> yes. probably a chmod needed
[12:09] <gregoiregentil> one second
[12:09] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
[12:10] <Corsac> thanks :)
[12:10] <Corsac> gregoiregentil: I managed to ???boot??? the touchbook os under qemu (well, just to get a kernel panic because of a null dereferencement)
[12:10] <gregoiregentil> should be fixed now
[12:10] <Corsac> cool
[12:14] <snlemons> that's awesome. I've really wanted to contribute to testing/docs, but was afraid I'd have to wait till October or later to do so.
[12:14] * Tiffany (n=Tiffany@pool-68-238-5-192.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net) Quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
[12:14] * Tiffany (n=Tiffany@pool-68-238-5-192.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net) has joined #touchbook
[12:14] <gregoiregentil> Corsac: cool
[12:15] <gregoiregentil> you need to have a special kernel to make it work well with qemu
[12:15] <gregoiregentil> but then the rootfs should work nicely
[12:17] <snlemons> let's see if I can get this working in OSX or if I'll be better off waiting till I get home to my Linux box...
[12:19] <asciiforever> i think my inside voice was reading it as 90s walter matthau
[12:21] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) has joined #touchbook
[12:24] * aswin (n=camper@ebb.ph.utexas.edu) has joined #touchbook
[12:26] <Corsac> gregoiregentil: I tried with sd-card in fact
[12:26] <Corsac> but I don't know how I could do with rootfs
[12:26] <gregoiregentil> OK. you need to have some special config in kernel
[12:26] * asciiforever (n=asciifor@74-140-212-76.dhcp.insightbb.com) has left #touchbook
[12:26] <gregoiregentil> for qemu support. You need to recompile kernel
[12:27] <Corsac> I'm currently using qemu-system-arm -M beagle -mtdblock u-boot-beagleboard.bin -sd sd-card -serial stdio
[12:27] <Corsac> hmhm
[12:27] <gregoiregentil> I don't have too much time to investigate. I think that you need to specify kernel separately. Kernel should have some flags
[12:28] <gregoiregentil> then you can mount loop rootfs and pass it as / for qemu
[12:28] <gregoiregentil> you should google arm+qemu+debian. It was working for debian so there is no reason why it shouldn't work for AI OS
[12:38] * Meizirkki (n=Meizirkk@bbwirelessgw2-feeedc00-64.dhcp.inet.fi) Quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
[12:40] * fooq (n=reini@cm56-152-97.liwest.at) has joined #touchbook
[12:43] <Corsac> gregoiregentil: there's that uboot thing I'm not really familiar with
[12:43] <gregoiregentil> imagine u-boot as a kind of grub
[12:43] <gregoiregentil> you don't need u-boot for qemu. I think that you can bypass it
[12:44] <Corsac> grub-system-arm seems to want a nand device and a sd one
[12:44] <Corsac> so I pass it the u-boot.bin
[12:44] <snlemons> Corsac: was it you who posted to the wiki that you couldn't get the squashfs file, or someone else?
[12:44] <Corsac> me
[12:44] <Corsac> I'm gonna remove that, now that permissions are fixed
[12:44] <snlemons> ah, ok. I was going to tell you I was able to get it.
[12:47] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 145 (Connection timed out))
[12:48] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) has joined #touchbook
[13:01] <Corsac> kernel seems to panic before I can do anything, so it might be a good idea to use a different kernel indeed
[13:01] <Corsac> though I'm not that sure -kernel works
[13:02] <gregoiregentil> Corsac: try this: http://www.aurel32.net/info/debian_arm_qemu.php
[13:04] <Corsac> yeah, I already put that link on the Qemu page :)
[13:04] <Corsac> but I'm not sure qemu doesn't ignore -kernel
[13:04] <snlemons> hm... mine seems to start then stop without any messages
[13:05] <snlemons> I assume you get messages accompanying your kernel panic, Corsac?
[13:07] <Corsac> [ 0.000000] Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (gregoire@gregoire-laptop) (gcc version 4.3.3 (GCC) ) #1 Sat Aug 22 12:35:35 PDT 2009
[13:08] <Corsac> ok, definitely ignoring -kernel :)
[13:08] <snlemons> ha
[13:08] <Corsac> snlemons: yeah, see the Qemu page
[13:09] <snlemons> yeah, I see that now. hm... I don't get those messages.
[13:09] <snlemons> mine gives me a list of supported devices, even though I specify the same arguments you list on that page.
[13:10] <Corsac> did you rebuild your qemu?
[13:11] <snlemons> I built it using th configuration listed there
[13:11] <snlemons> *the
[13:11] <Corsac> can you paste your messages?
[13:12] <snlemons> I'll pastebin
[13:12] <Corsac> gregoiregentil: btw, the aurel32 page is about the versatile stuff, which seems to be a bit different than the omap3 qemu build I'm using
[13:13] <snlemons> http://pastebin.com/d52902256
[13:15] <Corsac> snlemons: you're not using the correct qemu build
[13:15] <Corsac> snlemons: which is normal, since there's no reason you have .local/bin in your PATH :)
[13:15] <Corsac> run ~/.local/bin/qemu-system-arm or add ~/.local/bin in your PATH
[13:19] <snlemons> I did, actually.
[13:20] <snlemons> a "which" on qemu-system-arm returned the correct location
[13:20] * fooq (n=reini@cm56-152-97.liwest.at) Quit ()
[13:21] <Corsac> and did you clone the correct git tree??
[13:21] <snlemons> I'll make sure. I had issues with git at first.
[13:24] <snlemons> will have to check in a bit. just noticed it's time to catch the bus home.
[13:24] * Tiffany (n=Tiffany@pool-68-238-5-192.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[13:29] * snlemons (n=snlemons@w2-27009.unh.edu) Quit ("This computer has gone to sleep")
[14:21] <hyc> so I should be able to just dd the new image.squashfs over the mmcblk0p2 partition, right?
[14:24] <Corsac> gregoiregentil: it seems that mmc emulation doesn't work in qemu-omap3 in fact
[14:32] * calex (n=alexandr@adsl-75-6-227-54.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net) has joined #touchbook
[14:33] * shiznebit (n=chatzill@ Quit ("ChatZilla 0.9.85 [Firefox 3.5.1/20090715094852]")
[14:35] * Guest50807 (n=kurtis@ has joined #touchbook
[14:35] * Guest50807 (n=kurtis@ has left #touchbook
[14:53] * Hugh (n=hugh@cpe-76-186-244-32.tx.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 60 (Operation timed out))
[15:08] * calex (n=alexandr@adsl-75-6-227-54.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net) Quit ()
[15:13] <hyc> ok, I'm not liking fennec. every time I try to scroll, it zooms instead
[15:14] <gregoiregentil> hyc: yes, it's not as good as it should be.
[15:14] <gregoiregentil> I don't know if it's a config issue or something else. I have just delivered a unit to the Mozilla foundation
[15:14] <gregoiregentil> I'm sure that they will give us some feed-back
[15:15] <hyc> cool...
[15:15] <gregoiregentil> Note that I have quite the latest of fennec in 2009-08b. it's beta 2 from last week.
[15:15] <gregoiregentil> if you have a minute, please open a bug. I could show it to my Mozilla contact
[15:15] <hyc> willdo
[15:16] <gregoiregentil> Thanks!
[15:16] <hyc> bugzilla only shows Version 2009-08.a
[15:16] <hyc> need to add 08.b to the choices...
[15:17] <gregoiregentil> yes. I will do now
[15:18] <gregoiregentil> Done
[15:27] <hyc> re: bug priority - probably should have some extra text there ; 1=minor, 5=major, or the other way around?
[15:30] * snlemons (n=snlemons@c-24-60-77-165.hsd1.nh.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[15:30] <hyc> ok, fennec bug submitted
[15:35] <GUido-> more spammers on the AI forums
[15:35] <GUido-> unless AI sells sneakers now
[15:35] <gregoiregentil> No! I will clean up
[15:36] <snlemons> sneakers with a touchscreen interface? :)
[15:36] <GUido-> might want to ban jklm221
[15:44] * calex (n=alexandr@ has joined #touchbook
[15:45] <adricnet> Hokay, firing up the card reader...
[15:57] * robclark (n=robclark@nat/ti/x-pklyaidrvrouruhm) Quit ()
[16:12] * calex (n=alexandr@ Quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
[16:23] * Guest78554 (n=kurtis@ has joined #touchbook
[16:23] <DarKnight> Guest78554: spammers need to make a living too
[16:23] <DarKnight> directed at GUido-
[16:24] <Guest78554> so does anyone know what keeps backing up production?
[16:24] <Guest78554> is it one big problem, or just little new ones keep popping up
[16:25] * Guest78554 (n=kurtis@ has left #touchbook
[16:26] <hyc> well, that seemed rather troll-like
[16:27] * Guest78554 (n=kurtis@ has joined #touchbook
[16:27] * robclark (n=robclark@nat/ti/x-pkauisepukhlccrq) has joined #touchbook
[16:28] <DarKnight> naw
[16:28] <Guest78554> sorry bout that, having a little trouble with my new irc client
[16:28] <Guest78554> but to reiterate, so does anyone know what keeps backing up production?
[16:29] * Guest78554 is now known as mrwoo
[16:38] <bstag> you must me production of the touch book?
[16:38] <bstag> mena*
[16:38] <bstag> mean* lol
[16:38] <mrwoo> yes
[16:38] <mrwoo> what else would i be talking about?
[16:38] <bstag> no clue since no context was given
[16:40] <bstag> only gregoire could answer that honestly.
[16:43] <hyc> what makes you think there's problems backing it up? besides time and manpower...
[16:52] * raultherunt (n=Paul@c-67-168-202-60.hsd1.or.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[16:53] <tshirtman> that let money ^^
[16:53] <tshirtman> lets*?
[16:56] <mrwoo> I just figured something out of gregoire's control was what kept causing the hold up. Otherwise what's with all the missed deadlines? He wouldn't make a deadline for himself that was unreasonable
[16:59] <gregoiregentil> mrwoo: First, I would that I'm a guy who is a little bit optimistic for deadline, and for sure very aggressive (in the start-up sense). I consider that it's way you need to operate an innovative start-up.
[16:59] <gregoiregentil> Secondly, we have experienced a bunch of unexpected and extremely painful problems in the production. Even if I had been more cautious in setting the deadline, we would have missed some of them
[16:59] <mrwoo> yea, see that's what I figured
[17:00] <gregoiregentil> Then, if you want to perfect polished product, on time, you can still wait for the "very proprietary" Apple tablet. I'm sure that it will be great, but it will cost you twice or three times, and you will have to wait until end of year or January. That's a different approach.
[17:01] <mrwoo> oh i don't want a finnished product by any means. I want my hands on it a.s.a.p. I was just curious as to what are these "painful problems" to see if there was anything I could do to help
[17:02] <gregoiregentil> Participate here and on the beagleboard community. That's the most useful to help us
[17:02] <mrwoo> can do :-D
[17:02] <gregoiregentil> Thanks
[17:03] <mrwoo> By the way, I like the news feed that you put on the website. I don't care how long it takes to get the touchbook, I just like to be kept in the loop.
[17:04] <gregoiregentil> Yup. We left people in the dark a little bit too much. That was a mistake. We are trying to fix it.
[17:04] * pliny (n=pliny@c-76-115-25-212.hsd1.or.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[17:04] <tshirtman> yes silence is frustration, but communication takes times too
[17:04] <gregoiregentil> Now that we have forums, chatroom and everything, that should be easier to communicate
[17:04] <gregoiregentil> and be more transparent.
[17:05] <Pebby> ... and how many CEO's sit in an IRC channel talking about a kernel they're compiling? =P
[17:05] <Pebby> Talk about community, haha
[17:05] <tshirtman> ^^
[17:05] <mrwoo> I'm so excited about this project
[17:06] <mrwoo> Pebby: my thoughts exactly
[17:06] <martinh> Pebby: yes. that helps. :->
[17:06] <martinh> though. . .I still want mine! or at least the email for when I'll get it.
[17:06] * hyc_g1 (n=hyc@m470536d0.tmodns.net) Quit (Remote closed the connection)
[17:07] <tshirtman> I was wondering how much of your (probably enormeous) todo list would be doable by community?
[17:07] <gregoiregentil> I'm a firm believer in openness and open source. Our objective is really to provide an open and versatile platform. Then people can do whatever they want with it
[17:07] <Pebby> Oh, me too, but I still think, given what's been going on in here for the past few days, there could be a lot more community communication/call-to-arms
[17:08] <gregoiregentil> Ask hyc ;-) WPA was a good example of something that took us some time to do, but as hyc really wanted it, he did and it's already in 2009-08.b
[17:08] <hyc> ;)
[17:08] <gregoiregentil> I consider that the community is an accelerator
[17:08] <tshirtman> :)
[17:08] <Pebby> I'm sure you could get a bunch of people interested from the nokia n8xx camp I was in, too
[17:08] <mrwoo> hyc: thank you so much. is WPA-enterprise supported? My University has a super locked down wireless infrastructure
[17:08] <gregoiregentil> Certainly indeed
[17:09] <hyc> mrwoo: yes, that's exactly what I needed. it's all supported now.
[17:09] <tshirtman> that's great :)
[17:09] <mrwoo> hyc: FREAKN' awesome!
[17:10] <hyc> that's open source...
[17:10] <tshirtman> and some motivated/talented guy ;)
[17:10] <hyc> I'm always motivated to code :P
[17:10] <mrwoo> i was totally ok with buying the touchbook so early. I knew at the very least I'd have a dedicated community behind the thing
[17:11] <hyc> tho right now I have a new release of OpenLDAP to prep. i probably won't get back to hacking the TB till this weekend.
[17:12] <hyc> (I'm still trying to find good reasons to have OpenLDAP in the TB install. roaming profiles for the browser would be a possibility.)
[17:12] <tshirtman> oh your an openLDAP develloper, that's another whole piece of motication oO
[17:12] <hyc> I'm the OpenLDAp Chief Architect, actually...
[17:12] <tshirtman> ok
[17:13] * tshirtman is a little junior dev...
[17:13] <hyc> so yeah, I'm kindof a fan of open source ;)
[17:13] <tshirtman> I see that
[17:14] <tshirtman> it's cool to see people like you ^^
[17:15] <mrwoo> does the TB support samba?
[17:16] <mrwoo> samba client I mean
[17:17] <Pebby> n810 uses samba, so I'm guessing it does or could easily
[17:17] <martinh> but, i think it would be more entertaining as a samba server.
[17:17] <mrwoo> I'm gonna investigate getting a samba client to work, cause that's something I would really like
[17:18] <martinh> i'm sure that won't be hard.
[17:18] <mrwoo> perfect
[17:19] <gregoiregentil> mrwoo: yes samba (client server) is on TB
[17:19] <gregoiregentil> I have even mysql, apache on the image
[17:19] <mrwoo> nice
[17:19] <gregoiregentil> as well as vnc client
[17:19] <mrwoo> o wow
[17:20] <mrwoo> NX client?
[17:20] <gregoiregentil> and nx client!!! and even server if I remember well
[17:21] <mrwoo> ...wow
[17:22] <mrwoo> what didn't you think of?
[17:26] <mrwoo> hyc: what sort of development tools do you use when working with the TB?
[17:46] <hyc> mrwoo: it's all built using openembedded
[17:47] <hyc> although there's a lot of stuff that I just build on the TB itself too
[17:47] <hyc> perl modules, other misc stuff
[17:48] <hyc> it's a shame, i think firefox recently deleted their roaming profile support from their source tree.
[17:48] <hyc> it would be handy to have all my cookies, bookmarks, and accounts/passwords on my laptop and TB simultaneously
[17:48] <hyc> without having to manually sync them
[17:58] <martinh> yea. something like that would be handy.
[17:59] <adricnet> Okay, finished writing sd, slotted it, and it booted.
[18:03] <adricnet> They probably gave up on it when they moved to using sqlite for storage for bookmarks,history and the like.
[18:04] <hyc> yeah, probably.
[18:04] <hyc> unfortunately sqlite is a pig
[18:05] <hyc> bloated, slow, uses too much RAM.
[18:06] <adricnet> Aww, drh would be hurt to hear you say that. :/
[18:07] <adricnet> Not to mention that at least Android on aiPhone include it in the system for developers to use.
[18:08] <hyc> unfortunately it's the truth. OpenLDAP is an order of magnitude faster, and uses less memory.
[18:09] <adricnet> hyc: Not to get completely off topic, bt what do you use for a backend? bdb ?
[18:09] <hyc> other folks have reported the same tho - sqlite is slow and resource-hungry. not as bad as a full Oracle DB obviously, but not as good as a real embedded database.
[18:09] <hyc> yes, BDB
[18:09] <adricnet> Oh, hmm.
[18:09] <hyc> although I have a new project underway for a new database library
[18:09] <adricnet> And to use BDB, you have to learn it's api, whereas to use sqlite you have to use basic SQL.
[18:09] <hyc> BDB is our main choice, we also support MySQL NDB cluster
[18:10] <adricnet> hyc: A new project eh? not busy enough :)
[18:10] <hyc> heh... when you do something long enough, you always see better ways to go instead.
[18:11] <hyc> and while we've had a very close working relationship with the BerkeleyDB guys over the years, they're going in directions that no longer interest us
[18:11] <hyc> mainly, they're focusing on java support, database-level replication, and other things.
[18:12] <hyc> we already have LDAP-level replication so we never touch their repl support
[18:13] <hyc> NDB cluster is cool for very large scale. BDB is good for medium to large scale. I want something that will work for small to large scale (small, like my Android phone, TB.)
[18:13] <adricnet> ah, sure.
[18:14] * mrwoo (n=kurtis@ Quit (Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer))
[18:18] <adricnet> Hmm, some things are definitely better in 2009.08b. 3D UI is working a little better and now pops up when the logo button is tapped.
[18:21] <adricnet> trying some USB devices now
[18:23] <adricnet> gregoiregentil: Is the battery status any better in 2009.08b ?
[18:23] <hyc> I'm still getting the blank screen on certain device events
[18:26] <adricnet> it blinks, yeah.
[18:27] <hyc> yep
[18:27] <adricnet> Seems like several things are run as root when run from the 3dUI. Was that intended?
[18:44] * raultherunt (n=Paul@c-67-168-202-60.hsd1.or.comcast.net) Quit ("Leaving.")
[19:28] <adricnet> Okay, I stabbed in the usb stick with the videos on it. Let's see if this release does any better.
[19:40] * snlemons (n=snlemons@c-24-60-77-165.hsd1.nh.comcast.net) Quit ("Leaving")
[20:13] * Guest85705 (n=kurtis@ has joined #touchbook
[20:33] * Hugh (n=hugh@pool-71-252-242-212.dllstx.fios.verizon.net) has joined #touchbook
[20:33] * Hugh (n=hugh@pool-71-252-242-212.dllstx.fios.verizon.net) Quit (Client Quit)
[21:07] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #touchbook
[21:33] * Hugh (n=hugh@pool-71-252-242-212.dllstx.fios.verizon.net) has joined #touchbook
[21:33] * calex (n=alexandr@c-24-130-114-97.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) Quit ()
[21:34] <Hugh> sigh
[21:39] <hyc> adricnet: what kind of videos are you trying? what codecs, what rez?
[21:40] <adricnet> hyc: Some anime I've got laying around. h264 mkv (works poorly), divx avi (works okay but tops out the cpu)
[21:40] <adricnet> Oh and an ep of Mad Men, seem to be XViD, trying that again.
[21:41] <adricnet> Has anybody chased down the gpu bridge / totem thing? I enabled it before and it didn't do anything for mplayer.
[21:41] <hyc> are you noticing any big difference due to container format? H264 in flv always works poorly for me, but copied into mp4 format usually uses much less CPU
[21:42] <hyc> I haven't looked into the dsp bridge stuff yet. where have you found any info in it?
[21:43] <hyc> wish I had more time for this; I used to be pretty good with TI and Motorola DSP code ... about 10 years ago :P
[21:44] <gregoiregentil> hyc: video is high on my todo list
[21:44] <hyc> glad to hear it ;)
[21:44] <gregoiregentil> I would like to do a wiki page about DSP so that people (I should say hyc ;-) ) can start investigating and deeping around
[21:45] <gregoiregentil> I heard about so projects which manage to have video mpeg4 at 0% CPU (everything done in DSP including color conversion)
[21:45] <hyc> now you're just taunting me :D
[21:45] <gregoiregentil> Yup!
[21:46] <gregoiregentil> If Koen reads this, he can jump into the conversation. He knows a lot about this
[21:46] <gregoiregentil> Also, I got some new recipes from TI. That should help to improve what we have
[21:46] <gregoiregentil> The only good (or bad) news is that everything is gstreamer / totem based. No more mplayer - snif, snif...
[21:47] <hyc> ah, even better. yeah, I'm definitely up for diving into this. it's a lot more productive than waiting for the ATI developers to add video codec acceleration, all they care about is 3D game support.
[21:47] <gregoiregentil> yup. Will definitely do the wiki page later tonight.
[21:47] <hyc> I guess totem isn't so bad ;)
[21:47] <adricnet> Cool! :D
[21:48] <adricnet> OT: good grief does Bluetooth actually use AT (Hayes) Modem Command set ?!
[21:49] <hyc> ... heh, why not.. CDMA and GSM phones do...
[21:49] <hyc> this is almost as much fun as back in my old Atari hacking days
[21:50] <adricnet> Saw that in my logs trying to track down my Bluetooth headset failures on custom Android rom (cyanogen) ...
[21:51] <adricnet> That took a year off of my life, seeing those commands again.
[21:51] * netcrusher88 (n=netcrush@unaffiliated/netcrusher88) has joined #touchbook
[21:51] <hyc> ah, how did that rom work out for you? I'm still running jesusfreke 1.51
[21:51] <hyc> (ok, probably too far off topic)
[21:52] <adricnet> Oh Cyan's stuff is amazing. Fast as Ion and he keeps adding in stuff. Uses HTC Camera so we have zoom and options ... lots to love
[21:52] <adricnet> Lately he's even been porting in features from donut
[21:54] <adricnet> OT: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=537204 -< Cyanogen stable
[21:56] <adricnet> Back to TB .. If I start the gpu bridge and try totem or gst, will it use the bridge in 08b ?
[22:00] <gregoiregentil> yes. but you need the right command lines
[22:00] <gregoiregentil> first you need to start:
[22:00] <gregoiregentil> /etc/init.d/dspbridge start
[22:01] <gregoiregentil> you can test if dsp works correctly or not with
[22:01] <gregoiregentil> /usr/bin/dynreg.out -r /usr/bin/test-dsp/pingdyn_3430.dll64P
[22:01] <gregoiregentil> /usr/bin/test-dsp/ping.out
[22:02] <robclark> gregoiregentil: is this with gst-openmax and/or gst-dsp elements?
[22:02] <gregoiregentil> we have both options
[22:02] <gregoiregentil> we have compiled both dsplink and dspbridge on the image
[22:02] <robclark> ok.. it should be possible to setup the element ranks so playbin will pick the appropriate encoder/decoder elements..
[22:02] <robclark> which should make it somewhat automatic
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> yes, it's the case
[22:03] <robclark> (although you do have to start /etc/init.d/dspbridge at startup)
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> you can try something like
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> DISPLAY=:0.0 mplayer /walle.avi
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> DISPLAY=:0.0 LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libbridge.so totem /walle.avi
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> DISPLAY=:0.0 LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libbridge.so gst-launch -v playbin /walle.avi
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> or
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> DSP ==> LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libbridge.so gst-launch filesrc location="/walle.avi" ! avidemux name=demux demux.video_00 ! queue ! omx_mpeg4dec ! omapfbsink
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> DSP X11 ==> LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libbridge.so gst-launch filesrc location="/walle.avi" ! avidemux name=demux demux.video_00 ! queue ! omx_mpeg4dec ! ffmpegcolorspace ! ximagesink
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> then you have dslink
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> sh setup-dsplink.sh
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> cd /usr/share/ti-codec-combos/
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> gst-launch -v filesrc location=/BigBuckBunny_640x360.m4v ! qtdemux name=demux.video_00 ! queue max-size-buffers=1800 max-size-time=0 max-size-bytes=0 ! TIViddec2 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! ximagesink
[22:03] <gregoiregentil> # does not seem to work: gst-launch -v filesrc location=/BigBuckBunny_640x360.m4v ! qtdemux name=demux.video_00 ! TIViddec2 ! omapfbsink
[22:04] <robclark> hmm.. strange that you have to LD_PRELOAD..
[22:04] <robclark> is the OMX stuff not linked properly?
[22:05] <robclark> (internally, I've been converting omx stuff to build with autotools.. and not the crazy makefiles they originally used)
[22:05] <robclark> (but I guess if you build it all with bitbake, it shouldn't matter much to you)
[22:09] <adricnet> where's the irc log again :) I want to try and paste some of that into Terminal on the TB
[22:10] <gregoiregentil> http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/irclog/
[22:13] * Hugh (n=hugh@pool-71-252-242-212.dllstx.fios.verizon.net) Quit ("Ex-Chat")
[22:14] <adricnet> Hmm. Could sleep/wake have killed the network? I can reboot if that's the trouble.
[22:15] <gregoiregentil> how did you sleep?
[22:15] <gregoiregentil> echo mem > ...
[22:16] <adricnet> No, nothing intentional. Perhaps I used the wrong word.
[22:17] <gregoiregentil> some command lines to investigate for DSP: http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/DSP_video
[22:18] <Corsac> hey there
[22:18] <gregoiregentil> I can also give my recipes used to create the DSP elements on 2009-08.b but there is nothing major compared to OE git tree, and we have already sent upstream (not integrated I think) the gst-omapfb patches
[22:18] * robclark (n=robclark@nat/ti/x-pkauisepukhlccrq) Quit ()
[22:18] <gregoiregentil> Hello
[22:20] <Corsac> adricnet: sudo gunzip -dc sd-card.gz | dd of=/dev/disk2 wouldn't work anyway
[22:20] <Corsac> adricnet: you would have to do gunzip -dc sd-card.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/disk2
[22:20] <adricnet> Corsac: hmm, yeah that's it. Lol
[22:20] <Corsac> adricnet: but I'm sure some people at AI will work on OSX flashing support at one point ;p
[22:21] <adricnet> adricnet: ha, low on the todo list, no doubt
[22:21] <gregoiregentil> you mean to run the install-sd.sh script on MacOS X?
[22:21] <Corsac> you talk to yourself man
[22:21] <gregoiregentil> yes, I would be interested to have such support
[22:21] <gregoiregentil> it should not be very far. isn't it? Has anyone tried?
[22:21] <Corsac> gregoiregentil: yeah, adricnet did
[22:22] <Corsac> but it failed because OSX wont let him raw-write to the device
[22:22] <Corsac> http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Talk:Reinstall_OS
[22:22] <adricnet> Oops. It's getting early. I ended up doing it with linux
[22:22] <adricnet> I just nuked that entry, did you want it :) ?
[22:23] <gregoiregentil> yup
[22:23] <Corsac> might be interesting yeah
[22:23] <Corsac> well, at least saying it doesn't work (yet)
[22:23] <gregoiregentil> not sure about the windows user talk on the reinstall_SO page
[22:23] <adricnet> Okay, go ahead and revert, and I'll get a refill.
[22:23] <gregoiregentil> I spent my whole week-end to do this Windows application which is the equivalent of the one-line Linux command line
[22:23] <adricnet> There were / are rawwrite utilities for windows, used to include them on Linu distro cds for making floppies ..
[22:24] <adricnet> Aww
[22:24] <gregoiregentil> there is a dd Windows exe. but you don't have redirection
[22:24] <gregoiregentil> it's why I did my own Windows that is doing the same
[22:24] <gregoiregentil> I even posted the source code.
[22:25] <gregoiregentil> On Windows, you need a crazy NtOpenFile in ntdll.dll just to open the raw SD card
[22:25] <Corsac> yeah, I'm a bit puzzled by the ???doesn't work in windows???
[22:25] <Corsac> since there was a tool
[22:25] <adricnet> Oh wow. The tool wasn't linked when they added that, or when I edited it to make it more clear.
[22:25] <gregoiregentil> DO you know who posted that? I could help this user
[22:25] <gregoiregentil> OK
[22:26] <gregoiregentil> Please try it if you can
[22:26] <adricnet> gregoiregentil: It was a new user Ploufs
[22:27] <adricnet> Where did you link the windows utility? I'll fix the page and clean up Talk, if you like.
[22:27] <gregoiregentil> it's on the same Reinstall OS page
[22:29] <hyc> you mean /etc/init.d/dspbridge-init ? I don't see just dspbridge
[22:29] <adricnet> That's what I'm trying. It mumbled soemthing about a missing device file, hadn't seen that before.
[22:29] <gregoiregentil> yes
[22:32] <hyc> oh, minor nit, completely different topic - the xset command seems to have disappeared in 08b. I can't set the mouse accelerator now.
[22:34] <hyc> ( ipkg install is fine for that tho )
[22:34] <adricnet> trying your commands from above now, after the /usr/bin/test-dsp/ping.out => DSP Device Detected !! DSPNode Allocate failed 0x00000000
[22:36] <adricnet> As root or ai, and stop start the dsp-bridge didn't change it
[22:38] <gregoiregentil> Let me try on a fresh clean image
[22:39] <hyc> i just get Failed to open DSP manager
[22:41] * Geep (n=JoeBelow@bas21-toronto12-1242364713.dsl.bell.ca) Quit ("Ex-Chat")
[22:42] * Geep (n=JoeBelow@bas21-toronto12-1242364713.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #touchbook
[22:43] <gregoiregentil> lsmod?
[22:43] <gregoiregentil> do you have the modules loaded?
[22:43] <hyc> ah, had to run init.d twice
[22:43] <hyc> first time it just did an rm /firsttime and stopped
[22:43] <hyc> what's that all about?
[22:44] <gregoiregentil> yes
[22:44] <gregoiregentil> some past problems when the image was initially created. But users are not concerned. I wanted to remove this /firsttime
[22:45] <hyc> ok, now I also got DSPNode_Allocate failed: 0x80008008
[22:45] <gregoiregentil> /usr/bin/dynreg.out -r /usr/bin/test-dsp/pingdyn_3430.dll64P works for me
[22:45] <gregoiregentil> but I get an error when doing ping.out
[22:45] <hyc> that command runs silently, ping,out gives the failure
[22:45] <hyc> right
[22:45] <gregoiregentil> strange: that should work
[22:46] <gregoiregentil> I think that it's a vram problem
[22:47] <gregoiregentil> hyc: are you running with aufs+squashfs architecture?
[22:47] <gregoiregentil> that may be the problem
[22:47] <hyc> yes
[22:47] <gregoiregentil> if I remember well, aufs sucks when there is some mapping (unionfs too)
[22:47] <gregoiregentil> and there is very complex mapping for dspbridge)
[22:47] <hyc> I just dd'd the image.squashfs over my SD card 2nd partition
[22:47] <gregoiregentil> we need to try on the / (without aufs itself)
[22:48] <hyc> copied the new uImage onto the first partition of course
[22:48] <gregoiregentil> I mean the / of the card
[22:48] <hyc> ok
[22:48] <hyc> can just mount -r on that
[22:48] <gregoiregentil> yes, we can try the first partition
[22:50] <hyc> I tried mount -r /dev/mccblk0p2 /mnt
[22:50] <hyc> and ran the same commands from there, no difference
[22:51] <hyc> do we have to start from further back?
[22:51] <hyc> kernel modules, /lib/dsp files?
[22:51] <gregoiregentil> same for me. at least need a restart of the device
[22:51] <gregoiregentil> perhaps for /lib/dsp
[22:55] * jvs (n=jvs@ Quit ("Leaving")
[23:04] * hyc_tb (n=hyc_tb@ has joined #touchbook
[23:05] <hyc_tb> pidgin on this new build is having trouble resolving hostnames. I had to type in an IP address instead of irc.freenode.net
[23:05] <hyc_tb> DNS is working fine for everything else
[23:05] <gregoiregentil> OK.
[23:06] <adricnet> hyc: Ooh, is that why it won't IRC? Weird
[23:06] <gregoiregentil> I had some similar problem with Fennec and DNS. The solution was to exclude Fennec from prelink. Perhaps I should do the same for pidgin (perhaps I should remove this prelink)
[23:06] <hyc_tb> yep. go to help and pull up the Debug window
[23:06] <hyc_tb> then try to connect
[23:07] <hyc_tb> you will see it complain about the resolver not returning an answer
[23:09] <hyc_tb> what did you preload, a resolver cache or something?
[23:09] <gregoiregentil> I thought and my experience was that prelink helped to improve how quickly applications start
[23:10] <hyc_tb> ohhh, prelink.
[23:10] <gregoiregentil> there is a prelink exclude link in the default OE recipe
[23:11] <hyc_tb> so what can mess this up, it's linking to the wrong addresses? or the runtime linker is forgetting to do something?
[23:11] <gregoiregentil> I don't know. I guess so
[23:12] <gregoiregentil> In the mean time, I'm trying dsp on an image without squashfs + aufs. I remember now that there was a problem with this architecture
[23:19] * Meiz_n810 (n=Meizirkk@padedu-62-165-142-173.phnet.fi) has joined #Touchbook
[23:20] <hyc_tb> Hm. I would guess that any form of prelinking would interfere with the default dynamic linker behavior, interposition and such
[23:21] <adricnet> What is the dynamic linker on Angstrom/TB ? S'not ldd?
[23:21] <hyc_tb> so if you have libraries that are built with the assumption that they can substitute functions on the fly, they will fail
[23:21] <gregoiregentil> yes
[23:21] <hyc_tb> and nss certainly depends heavily on the dynamic linker
[23:29] <gregoiregentil> OK
[23:29] <hyc_tb> hmm... perhaps just wiping out the prelink cache and rerunning it would help
[23:29] <gregoiregentil> Good and bad news:
[23:29] <hyc_tb> going to try that...
[23:29] <gregoiregentil> good news: dspbridge is working
[23:29] <hyc_tb> cool
[23:29] <gregoiregentil> bad news: it's due to aufs+squashfs
[23:29] <gregoiregentil> it's working on a standard rootfs.
[23:30] <adricnet> Well, it's good to have that confirmed. Can you (we?) build up a standard roots sdimage?
[23:30] * hyc_tb (n=hyc_tb@ Quit ("Powered by OE: www.openembedded.org")
[23:33] <gregoiregentil> I can even have totem using DSP! ;-)
[23:33] <gregoiregentil> we need to fix this aufs problem
[23:37] <adricnet> Okay, how can we help?
[23:37] <gregoiregentil> first, it would be great to identify which components is raising the issue in aufs
[23:38] <gregoiregentil> I guess that it's all lib loaded through dynreg.out
[23:38] <hyc> hmm... you excluded dynreg.out from prelinking, I think
[23:38] <gregoiregentil> it's automatic because it's failing prelinking this app
[23:39] <gregoiregentil> I have done the same prelink on this rootfs card. So this DSP problem is not a problem of prelink
[23:39] <hyc> ok
[23:39] <hyc> (too bad... I have prelink rerunning on the TB right now in singleuser mode)
[23:40] <hyc> it sounds very odd that aufs can be the culprit. it appears to be presenting the filesystem data faithfully.
[23:41] <adricnet> hmm, so it's aufs ? the android rom devs have had trouble with that, I know.
[23:41] <gregoiregentil> it's not the first time I have such problem
[23:41] <hyc> cmp -l against the raw mounted files shows no differences
[23:41] <gregoiregentil> a few years ago, OpenOffice was failing on aufs+squashfs because of a file mapping story
[23:41] <hyc> hm, ok
[23:42] <hyc> mmap behavior, yeah
[23:43] <hyc> then we should be able to test successfully just by copying the files to somewhere else, like a tmpfs
[23:43] <adricnet> mmap of a file fails because the filesystem .. doesn't follow the unix metaphors?
[23:45] <dpb> how about a different approach for the root fs? we could have the squashfs on the second partition, and have ext3 on the third, just as now, but instead of aufs, we could copy the files from the squashfs on the boot to the third partition, if the third partition is empty, and just use the third as the root, only use the second for reverting
[23:45] * hyc_tb (n=hyc_tb@ has joined #touchbook
[23:45] * hyc_tb (n=hyc_tb@ Quit (Client Quit)
[23:46] <adricnet> dpb: How is that different from the current setup?
[23:47] <gregoiregentil> dpb: that may be an option but 1) it's not easy to copy on boot. u-boot doesn't talk ext3 and you would need an initramfs
[23:47] <dpb> adricnet: the current setup uses aufs, and just mounts the third on top of the second
[23:47] <gregoiregentil> 2) it would take some time.
[23:47] * hyc_tb (n=hyc_tb@ has joined #touchbook
[23:47] <adricnet> dpb: Ah right aufs is like union .. reading up on that now
[23:48] <hyc_tb> ok, rerunning the prelinker didn't help pidgin's DNS issue
[23:48] <gregoiregentil> and have you tried to un-prelink
[23:48] <dpb> gregoiregentil: umm, why do you need to touch it from u-boot? u-boot just reads the fat partition and loads the kernel from it
[23:48] <gregoiregentil> there is an option to unlink
[23:48] <hyc_tb> will dig that up
[23:49] <dpb> you could copy the files after booting the kernel, on the thirst boot of the device
[23:49] <gregoiregentil> dpb: I was trying to see when we can do this cp you are mentioning
[23:49] <dpb> but yeah, it would take some time
[23:50] <dpb> but you wouldn't need to do it on every boot
[23:50] <gregoiregentil> yup.
[23:50] * hyc_tb (n=hyc_tb@ Quit (Client Quit)
[23:50] <gregoiregentil> the quick fix would be to identify which library can't be on aufs
[23:50] <gregoiregentil> and put it either on first partition or
[23:50] <dpb> of course aufs would be much neater, if it can be gotten to work with the stuff..
[23:51] <gregoiregentil> to patch do something with aufs to have a real passthrough for a certain directory
[23:53] * Meiz_n810 (n=Meizirkk@padedu-62-165-142-173.phnet.fi) Quit (Remote closed the connection)
[23:54] <gregoiregentil> I'm wondering if it's just modprobe bridgedriver base_img=/lib/dsp/baseimage.dof
[23:54] <gregoiregentil> or all /usr/bin/dynreg.out in dspbridge-init
[23:55] <gregoiregentil> I think that as a quick fix, I would use the first partition

These logs were automatically created by TouchBook-LogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.