To try the Beagle board image in a Nook Color

Anything related to new features and request of new applications / utilities

To try the Beagle board image in a Nook Color

Postby bonjourmonsieur » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 am

I wonder what would happen if the latest image of the AIOS ,designed for the beagle board, would be used in a Nook Color (which boot with no problem from a cyanogenmod 7.0 image with no modification)? What could be the worse that could happen?
bonjourmonsieur

Re: To try the Beagle board image in a Nook Color

Postby josch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:54 am

i have no clue about android matters or the nook color but know some bits about the linux boot process on arm devices.

what my questions would be to answer your question:

how does the cyanogen mod boot? where is it stored? on an SD? has it to be flashed to NAND?
what is the bootloader? how to tell the kernel where /sbin/init is and what the boot device shall be?

but if you already know how to direct the kernel to boot the init of your aios/ubuntu rootfs from SD or NAND then the worst that can happen is that it just fails with a black screen, giving you little possibility to debug the issue.

oh and also you were talking about the "beagleboard image of AIOS" i didnt look much into what they call the "superjumbo" but as far as i understood it, what you download is an image to put on your SD card. This image will contain AIOS, ubuntu and android ready for multiboot and OS switch. (please correct me if i'm wrong there). So I assume you were talking about putting that image on the SD card and hope the nook will boot from it? well this will certainly not work without some manual intervention - how does cyanogen do it? also, the kernel with the image is practially useless as it is made for touchbook/beagleboard. I dont even know if you know how to direct whatever bootloader the nook has to use that kernel to boot. what you can do nevertheless is to extract one of the rootfs (AIOS or ubuntu) from the superjumbo image and put that on the sd or nand (again i dont know how the cyanogen bootprocess works).

so: no nothing would be damaged if you just try to "use" it but then the question arises what you mean by "using it"?

do you have an idea how the nook boot works? where you would put the image? how you would direct the kernel to boot its init?
josch

Postby bonjourmonsieur » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:43 am

Here is the info you need to understand how the Nook Color boots and runs the operating system Gingerbread from the microsd card slot:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1000957
(the agnostic image is about 9M, so go ahead and download and inspect it).
All the intructions to run 2.3.3 work without affecting the original operating system that is stored in the internal memory, furthermore, taking the sd card out would boot the original OS!
I am sure that the jumbo image would not work without modification due to the obvious hardware differences, but right now I would like to avoid the Nook device getting bricked by the simple experiment of using an unknown image (jumbo AIOS), which I assume to be somewhat similar to the one running in the nook color (Cynaodemod 7 Gingerbread 2.3.3 running from microsdcard), for the SoC inside both devices is similar.
It is the similarity of the platforms that increases the risk from where I stand.
It is simple curiosity really.
bonjourmonsieur

Postby josch » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:51 am

find out how those guys compiled uboot and the kernel and modify them to make it work. currently it will proably fail because uboot gives a wrong init to the kernel to boot any gnu/linux instead of android.

also i dont think you can brick your device by booting from SD - something that could potentially brick your nook would be if there was something that would write to the nook's NAND flash but that should not be the case.
josch

Return to Suggestions and Requests