performance

Anything related to the Smart Book hardware.

performance

Postby kall » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:34 am

Hello everybody,

I'm among the ones who are waiting for the smart book to be shipped. I was wondering, has anyone played with it, saw what the performance is? I mean, the first TB version was really slow, will the smart book be of satisfactory performance? ie write and read huge openwrite files, read large pdf files? I want it more to assist me in my work and not to watch movies.
kall

Re: performance

Postby rdnetto » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:39 am

No one other than the AI team has used it since it hasn't shipped yet. 'Large PDF files' is rather ambiguous, but since the SB has the same amount of RAM as the TB with a slightly faster CPU, I'm going to guess that it'll be faster, but not world-shatteringly so. AI is really at a disadvantage, since or all the new ARM devices this year are using a Cortex A9 and they're still on the A8. When mine finally ships I plan to try and replace the motherboard with a Pandaboard if possible (which has twice as much RAM and is dual core), but it's a significant undertaking and I doubt most people would bother with it, especially as it would cost the use of the MID (the Pandaboard is much larger) and likely void the warranty.
rdnetto

Postby DeVice » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:57 am

That Pandaboard "hack" sounds interesting. Be sure to let us know how it goes when you work on it, please.
DeVice

Postby rdnetto » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:45 am

Will do.
rdnetto

Return to Smart Book