Handwriting Recognition

Anything related to compile and create applications for the Always Innovating OS

Handwriting Recognition

Postby goldnate » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:56 am

I've crossposted this in applications, since I'm not totally sure where it should go. Gregoire, could you, maybe, decide and clean up my mess? Thanks!

What sort of Handwriting Recognition programs might be available for TouchBook and is the processor powerful enough to take advantage of them?

How about Vision Objects' MyScript suite? From what I could find searching last night, this is supposed to be the best handwriting recognition out there. It's proprietary, but it's available for linux.

Does it seem TouchBook is powerful enough? Any early adopters tried this or other handwriting recognition systems?
goldnate

Re: Handwriting Recognition

Postby tylik » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:09 am

I have not, but if I were looking for handwriting rec yet (I'm sure I will be soon) I'd probably look into cellwriter, first.
tylik

Postby TomMD » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:49 pm

I've tried cellwriter on my tb just recently and the main issue is a lack on context - perhaps inevidable when it doesn't accept more than the small input to be shoved off at another program. After extensive training I still find it hard to get it to write a lower case letter 'L' as it often thinks of pipe, number one, or left parenthesis instead. I'll post another message using the TB + cellwriter with only moderate rewrite attempts (you can rewrite letters, but some letters it doesn't get right for a number of attempts).
TomMD

Postby TomMD » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Hei|o TR users! This is me fryjngfo use Ce#1 @mi+er. Ns my hanA yefs tired und @ rest if on the soreen ImuKe mxre fypos anf even accIde=fly hi+ buIfons (I |ost my fi=5f mes3a-e as a resu|t)

Translation:
Hello TB users! This is me trying to use cell writer. As my hand gets tired and I rest it on the screen I make more typos and even accidently hit buttons (I lost my first messages as a result).

This was done with about one letter correction per word.
TomMD

Postby TomMD » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Let_try this_again_with me retraing every letter that I_find_hard to write. It is getting easier to do this but the random jitters of the screen make some mistakes inevidable- especially with the touch sensitivity.

If I could stop the touch screen from randomly jumping my location then things would be great!

I might evendo this in under 15 minutes...

But it is really cool software. Just not the right hardware for this use.

No4 to stop correcting it and see [f you cun understund bhat I-m truing Io seg" Roes tajs meau aRy YhiRg toysu? I-m_only takiog a gonput on eucu word and 3peedGns up as I go .". Its not Poo bae_ huh!!&
TomMD

Postby Haltson PA-C » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:52 am

"Not Poo bae_ huh!"

That's a pretty awesome endorsement. 8-)
Haltson PA-C

Postby tylik » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:20 am

*laughs*

I use cellwriter a lot on my lenovo tablet, and it does take some training. I haven't set it up on the TB yet, so I really can't say if the screen might be part of the issue.
tylik

Return to Development